Monday, March 25, 2013

Bottle.... What Is That?

I am back!  I really hope one day I can start blogging more regularly.  I just get so focused on work and being a mommy it is hard to find time.  Often I feel very stressed and top that with my OCD issues of having to have a clean/organized house, I do not have time to blog.  I am going to try harder though :)

So since I last blogged a lot has changed.  I am going to start with one major change that has occurred recently.

Parker is now the big 1 and we had his 1 year old check up on his birthday.  Dr. Simpson said we could do away with bottles and formula.  I was ready to take this step but was a little worried about Parker being ready.  We introduced a sippy cup to him a while back ago and would he would drink juice/water out of it with meals.  We had never tried formula in it due to we always gave him the formula in a bottle.  Well, he had started becoming very attached to his bottle.  He would even get mad at you if you did not make it fast enough :)  He really relied on it for nap time and bed time.  So I knew we had a battle ahead of us.

Around 9 months I was actually ready to do away with bottles because I could see his attachment growing.  Someone talked me into not taking the bottle away just yet so we didn't.

So after the appointment I decided it was time.  (I was growing very tired of washing bottles anyways!) It was now or never!  I told my mom that it was game time and Operation No More Bottles for Parker was starting.  She of course was hesitant to start it while he was with her, but I told her she had to try.  So that night I decided to give him his bed time "bottle" in his sippy cup.  Well, that was a huge failure and it ended with him winning.  The next night I tried again and once again did not win the battle of him drinking from the sippy cup.  I even tried opening it up to show him it was the same as what was in his bottle, but no luck.  On that night of trying to get him to drink it from a sippy cup I did not even give him a bottle and he went to sleep with out anything.  So I decided if he could skip a night time bottle he could do it all day.  That was Thursday night and during the day on Friday he did have two bottles (he was being watched by a little pushover... his G).  Once I got him Friday afternoon I said no more bottles.  I once again did not give him a night time bottle and he actually drank more from the sippy cup this time but just a little.  It was a sign of progress!  So Saturday rolled around and I decided it was "cold turkey" time.  I was determined not to give him a bottle.  He did get a little more cranky about two times but he went the whole day with out a bottle.  I knew Sunday would be more of a challenge due to he had to go to the church nursery.  Right now he is not a fan of the nursery so I was a little worried about leaving him in there with no bottle.  To my surprise he did great and survived.  I knew then that if he could survive the nursery with no bottle he could survive everyday with out one.  Since that day we have not looked backed and he has not had ANY bottles.  So we are officially weaned from a bottle and it is WONDERFUL!  He drinks everything from a sippy cup now and it did not make a bit of a difference.  The operation seriously took all of 24 hours.... I was shocked!  The cold turkey technique worked great for us and I am so glad I decided to take the plunge.

After a full week of not having a bottle I officially packed them away and MADE my mom pack hers away as well!

We decided to transition to a toddler formula for now due to Parker HATED whole milk.  We hope to transition off the formula soon, but thought it would be best to stagger the two transitions.  We are also considering not using a cow's milk product.

Overall, the experience was stress free and easy.  I am so proud of him for taking it all with stride and handling it with ease.  Maybe potty training will be the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment