Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Family Time?

Lyle and I always knew we would start a family one day and were more than excited about becoming a mother and father.  Becoming a mother was always something I was very eager about becoming and could not wait till the time was right to start trying to have a baby.  Well Lyle and I knew that we wanted to make sure we were financially good before we started trying to start our family.  Lyle knew his job at Publix was secure and he was in the process of trying to get promoted.  I, being a teacher, knew that my job was not as "stable."  By the time Lyle and I had gotten married I was in my second year of teaching.  Well it takes teachers three years to be what they call tenured.  That basically means you have job security (as long as you keep doing what you are supposed too).  I of course being a control freak wanted to try and wait till I had tenured.  So that meant one more year before we could "start trying."  Well of course after my second year of teaching, the education world hit a snag and schools were starting to cut teachers and make class sizes bigger.  I luckily was hired back for my third year :)  So that meant I just had to survive one more year of being hired back.  Lyle of course wanted to start anyways, but I just wanted to wait to see if I did get tenured.  Normally it is the girl who has to beg the guy to agree, but that was not us!  Well, it was finally the time of the year when schools start planning how many teachers they will have for the next year.  I of course was FREAKING OUT..... I just needed to be hired back ONE MORE TIME (oh the life of a teacher)!!!  If you know me..... I started stressing about being hired back, probably around September.  The teachers I work with were tired of hearing my comments.  Well it was April and I knew my principal had, had "The Meeting."  See each year she has a staffing meeting with the Hoover Board and they tell her how many teachers she can have for the next year.  I knew I would find out soon.  It was a day I will never forget..... my principal came into my room (this was normal, so I did not think anything about it).  Well I was working with one of my students and she started walking towards me.  Normally she just steps in and watches, so I was a little thrown off when she started walking towards me.  I just figured she was checking up on what the student was doing.  Well she said "Abbey..... you get to come back next year!"  I literally started crying and hugging her.  I was going to be tenured...... two thoughts ran through my head: 1) I wanted a new car and 2) I wanted to "start trying"

So I immediately called Lyle the second I got the chance.  I at first made him think I had lost my job!  It was very funny and he was very sweet.  When I got home that day I informed him of wanting a new car (mine was 10 years old) and that I was ready to start growing our family.  He of course was already ready and was just waiting for me to jump on board. 

I will not go into too many details (if you want you can ask!)...... Lyle and I started officially "trying" for Baby Northington in April of 2011.  Well nothing happened that month.  I of course (being a person who thinks negatively) started worrying about if I could even get pregnant.  I even started looking at adoption blogs.  We tried again in May and................ BAM Baby Northington was created!!!!!!!

The day we found out.....
Once again I can remember this day like it happened yesterday!  Well that weekend before I found out, I was feeling a little quesy and my sense of smell was very intense.  I kinda thought maybe I was pregnant?  Well then I started cramping like I was about to get my monthly present.  So I thought I was not pregnant.  I even told Lyle I was cramping and about to start.  I told him I was sad that I was not pregnant.  That was June 6th 2011.  On June 7th I got my hair done.  I was getting my hair highlighted this time around.  My aunt is my hairdresser, and her and I started talking about how when your pregnant it takes longer for you hair to come up when you get it highlighted (due to the hormones).  Well my hair took FOREVER!  I did not think to much of it because I was cramping and just figured it took so long due to I had not had it highlighted in a while. 

June 8th 6:45 am
The dogs woke up and needed to go potty.  Well after my hair taking so long to color and my monthly present had still not come.... I thought maybe I should take a pregnancy test. I had one in the cabinet, so I followed the steps and left it on the counter.  I took the dogs out and went back to look at it.  By the way the whole time Lyle was sound asleep still in the bed.  I was shocked to see two pink lines..... I WAS PREGNANT!!!!!!  I of course started shouting and ran to tell Lyle.  I always imagined finding a cute way to tell him, but that all went out the window with my excitment.  Lyle of course was so happy and was smiling ear to ear.  I told him I had to go to the store and get more tests.  He told me to come back to bed and we would later.  He was crazy..... no way I could go back to bed.  So off to the store I went.  I bought $30 dollars of pregnancy tests.  They all came back positive too :)

We went to the doctor two weeks later and they confirmed it..... Baby Northington was due February 15, 2012!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hahah I love how your first thought was to buy a new car! You crack me up!!

    ReplyDelete