Monday, May 7, 2012

Parker Holt Northington's Birth Story

      For some reason around 36 weeks I started to believe that Parker would come early and I would not make it to 40 weeks.  Maybe because at 36 weeks I was 1cm dilated.  Well Parker had a different idea!  My due date (February 15th) came and went and Parker had still not made his arrival.  Dr. Heaton and I had already arranged for me to be induced on Monday, February 20th if he was not here by then.  I had my 40 week appointment on Thursday, February 16th.  It was a routine appointment until Dr. Heaton went to check me.  I will never forget what she said...... "He is no longer head down!"  I started laughing and said "Are you sure?"  At first I thought she was just joking around with me (Dr. Heaton has a GREAT sense of humor.  One reason why I LOVE her).  She started laughing as well and said "I am pretty positive, but lets do an ultrasound just to make sure."  So off to the ultrasound room!!!  This made me happy because I got to see my little man one more time.  Well Dr. Heaton was right, he was indeed feet down and was measuring to have a BIG head.  Parker was already showing he had a mind of his own by deciding to turn around in the last week.  So Dr. Heaton and I decided to change my scheduled induction on Monday to a scheduled C-section.  At first I was a little bummed but was a little happy about having a C-section.  I know that sounds crazy but for some reason pushing a baby out scared me more than being cut open.  So I left knowing that he would be here Monday.  Lyle and I had one last weekend to ourselves.  I just knew he would stay put until Monday (or so I thought).  Lyle and I enjoyed the weekend and even went on one last date Saturday night.

   Well Sunday, February 19th rolled around.  Lyle had to be at work at 5:30am so I woke up to see him off.  I got back in the bed but was woken up by some pains around 6:00am.  I was a little worried at first because it was something I had not felt my whole pregnancy (my whole pregnancy I never experienced any type of contractions!).  I started to realize that I was having contractions!!!  They were not that bad so I tried to go back to sleep.  Around 6:30am I realized I was not going to fall asleep so I woke up and called my mom.  I told her the contractions were pretty consistent about being 5-7 minutes apart but only lasted around 30 seconds.  They also were not that intense.  We decided to go ahead and call the hospital and see if they wanted me to come in due to him being breech and me having a C-section.  I called up there and she told me to come on in.  I decided I would just wait.  In the meantime I had called Lyle and told him about my contractions but there was no need for him to leave work.  I got up and took a shower (thank goodness) and put some last minute things in my bag.  I put on some pajamas and hoped back in the bed :)  Well about this time Lyle had called and said he was coming home anyways (thank goodness) I said that was fine.  He got home and put his clothes in a bag.  We decided to go on up to St. Vincent's (Where Babies Come From!!)  I was lying in the bed and he said he was going to call his parents and tell them what was going on (they live 2 hours away).  I called my mom and told her we were going to go on up there.  Well at about that time MY WATER BROKE!!!!  I jumped out of the bed yelling to Lyle that my water had just broken.  I was standing there with my legs crossed and Lyle was frantically trying to get the bags in the car.  I was LAUGHING and Lyle was freaking out!!!!  It was quite funny :)  Finally I jumped in the bathtub because my water was still coming out.  I finally looked at Lyle and said I need a towel.  He got me one and then I sat there and debated about changing clothes before we left.  I decided that they would be soaking wet too, by the time we got there so what was the point?
I want to stop here for a minute and mention that NO ONE TELLS YOU WHAT IT IS LIKE TO HAVE YOUR WATER BREAK.  I was in complete shock at how much fluid comes out.  I soaked through 4 big towels before we even got there. 
Back to the story..... so we got in the car and called the hospital to tell them we were on our way.  I was on the phone with my mom the whole time there.  I was still having contractions and they were getting a little bit more intense.  We finally got to the hospital and they immediately allowed me to go into a room and change clothes.  I didn't even have to sign in.  It was very funny..... see when we got there, there was another couple signing in.  The nurse looked at me and said why don't you go on into that room and I will sign you in because I can see you are having issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Yea I was leaking fluid like it was a flood :)  Another funny side comment: When I got to the nurses station I realized I had never put on a bra!!!!!  So I go into a room and change into a gown.  The nurses came in and checked just to make sure he was still breech.  They then asked me when I had eaten last.  Well due to the fact I had not eaten since 7pm the night before they said I would be taken back in 30 minutes to have my C-section.  WHAT 30 MINUTES!!!!!  I was freaking out.... my mom was not even there yet!  So Lyle and I got ready to go meet our son.  When they wheeled me back there Lyle and I were the only ones there.  My mom was still not there.... this caused me to almost cry.  I really wanted to see my mom before I had surgery.  Luckily she got there in time and they allowed her to come back in the surgery room and kiss me.  That was all I needed!
I of course cannot tell you much about the "delivery" due to I could not see anything.  All I know was Lyle was by myside and I could feel tugging on my belly.  After about 10 minutes Parker Holt Northington was born!  He started crying the moment they got him out.  I got to see him and then they got him all cleaned up and checked him out.  During this time the doctors were closing me up.  After what seemed like forever I finally got to hold my sweet little boy and really get a good look at him.  I was then rolled back to my room with Parker in my arms.  We got back to a regular room and everyone got to meet the cutest baby around!

   Overall, my delivery process lasted a total of 4 hours and 29 minutes from the first contraction to his birth.  It was a wonderful experience and a whirlwind.  I had a great stay in the hospital and loved the care I got at St. Vincents!

No comments:

Post a Comment